Mt. Moosilauke (4802)
Trail: Gorge Brook – Carriage Road – Snapper Tr.
Attending: Simone, & John Chicoine
Miles: 3.7 up, 3.8miles down Time: 2.5 hours to summit. 6 hour total
AMC huts, / shelters / camping site: The New! Moosilauke Ravine Lodge
Weather: Sunny, clear, gentle cooling breeze
Happy Birthday to me, (Well, close enough); and a better gift would be hard to beat. I do love Mt. Moosilauke.
The Gorge brook trail has been re-routed because of storm damage from several years ago. (this adds an extra 1/2mile.)
The trailhead has been relocated a 100yards up, (away from the lodge) because of the construction on the new Ravine lodge. I do suspect that this might be a permanent relocation; It doesn’t look like Dartmouth is going to be so open to having hordes of mountain stumble bums sullying up their new lodge. (I hope I’m wrong.) (I do have a strong suspicion that the lodge road may be open year-round.)
It’s always too long between visits to this grand summit. For Simone and I, it’s been at least 4 years. It’s good to know that we still got it. (Not that we were trying, best hike time ever.) Not bad for a couple of 64-year olds.
- Moosilauke1 Matt Leblank, Gabe, J&S (Winter 1998)
- Moosilauke2 Shawn, Ralph, Gabe, J&S (Winter 2000)
- Moosilauke3 Shawn, Ralph, Gary, Gabe, J&S (Winter 2002)
- Moosilauke4 Gary & Pete, Gabe, Noah, J&S (Winter 2003)
- Moosilauke5 J&S (Spring 2009)
- Moosilauke6 Chris, Joel, Shawn, J &S, (Fall 2011)
- Moosilauke7 J&S (Fall 2017)